p r o f e s s i o n a l a c c o m p l i s h m e n t s
Personal/Professional Blog (~30,000 readers/year) | January 2013-Present
Published: ASCD Educational Leadership | March 2017
Speaker, National Board Teaching and Learning Conference, Personalization | March 2016
Published: ILA Literacy Today | January 2016
Feature: “Learn Different,” New Yorker Magazine | March 2016
Speaker, OESIS | October 2015 and February 2016
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, Middle Childhood Generalist | December 2014
EdSurge Digital Innovation in Learning Award (DILA) Nomination | October 2014 and 2015
p r o f e s s i o n a l e x p e r i e n c e
AltSchool | July 2014 – Present
Founding Lead Educator (Multi-Age, K/1, 2-5)
· Engendered student agency using thinking routines, choice charts, student-friendly rubrics, and passion projects, laying the foundation for a lifetime of autonomous learning that felt personal and within a child’s locus of control.
· Backward-designed multi-disciplinary units of instruction, seamlessly incorporating foundational skills, field trips and real-world projects, helping students make connections between often siloed school disciplines (i.e., Classroom Design, Origami, Ancient Number Systems, and Architecture Projects), meanwhile preserving reading, writing, and math workshop.
· Collaborated with student support educators to provide sensory diets, conduct functional behavior analyses, and develop plans to support all children in neurodiverse classrooms, including those with sensory needs, autism, and dyslexia.
· Nurtured a self-aware learning environment using proactive social-emotional measures such as mindfulness, self-love, and Social Thinking techniques, as well as reactive measures such as restorative practices and Peace Talks.
· Developed network-wide practices for feedback and one-on-one conferring, intended to build relationships within families and help children internalize the feedback, establishing the standard for the AltSchool Playbook with regard to goal-setting and assessment practices.
School Formation, Technology Development, and School Leadership
· Supported the opening of three schools, leading procurement efforts, mentoring new educators, conducting professional development, facilitating vision-building sessions, and building community with diverse groups of parents and children.
· Engineered technology tools for documentation, assessment collection, and parent communication, enabling schools within our network to make instructional decisions based upon valid and reliable assessment data (MAP, Fountas and Pinnell, etc.).
Glenview Public School District 34 | August 2010 – July 2014
4th and 5th Grade Educator | Glenview, Illinois
· Pioneered the use of iPads in a 1:1 environment, training educators on effective technology and assessment practices.
· Pushed the boundaries of curriculum design by creating project-based, multi-disciplinary units that incorporated mindfully rigorous, competency-based assessment practices, helping more than 90% of children meet annual academic growth targets.
e d u c a t i o n a n d c e r t i f i c a t i o n
Roosevelt University | Schaumburg, Illinois
M.A., Language and Literacy, Reading Specialist | May 2012
Reading Specialist Certification (K-12, Illinois, Type 10) | May 2012
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign | Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
B.S., Elementary Education (Endorsements: Music, Social Studies) | May 2010
Standard Elementary (K-9, Illinois, Type 03) | May 2010